Marma Therapy is similar to acupuncture or cupping in that it helps to maintain health by cleansing blocked energy. Marma literally means the likelihood of death or damage when these points are inflicted, it also means hidden or secret. Marma point is a juncture on the body where two or more types of tissue meet such as muscles, veins, ligaments, bones or joints.
107 Marma Points in Ayurveda
These points are doorways into the body and consciousness, and the mind is considered the 108th marma. These points correspond to the 7 chakras, or energy centers in the body. These points range in size from 1 to 6 inches.
What happens during Marma Therapy?
- Marma therapies work on many levels – emotional, mental and spiritual and can create dramatic shifts in the body.
- Relief from chronic or acute pain, both locally and distally
- Significant improvement in bodily/organ functions: immunity, digestive, respiratory, neural, and psychological
- Healthier skin and a radiant appearance
- Balances body temperature and the doshas
- Releases neurochemicals such as serotonin, melatonin for improved cognitive function and deeper sleep
- Marma works on prana (energy) levels, our sensory and motor organs, and eventually the entire mind-body complex